About George P. Kelesis
Las Vegas native, George Kelesis, has practiced law in Las Vegas since his admission to the bar in 1981. He returned to his home town after graduating with distinction from McGeorge School of Law and receiving his Master of Laws in Taxation from New York University.
Early in his career he was mentored by several well-known attorneys, including now Supreme Court Justice Michael Cherry. He built several successful private practices, and in 2005 formed Bailus Cook & Kelesis with two of his long-term friends and colleagues. After Mr. Bailus’ appointment to the bench, in 2017 the firm became Cook & Kelesis, Ltd.
With nearly 35 years of experience, Mr. Kelesis is highly regarded in the areas of civil and criminal tax litigation, corporate and commercial transactions and litigation, business formation and estate planning. He has been rated “AV Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest possible rating in both legal ability and Ethical Standards. Mr. Kelesis continues to update and advance his expertise, recently receiving an advanced Certificate in International Tax law from Georgetown University School of Law.
In addition to his private practice, Mr. Kelesis has served on the Nevada Tax Commission continuously since 2000, and has served as an Adjunct Professor at UNLV and Boyd School of Law. He has been instrumental in the formation of numerous non-profit entities that provide essential support to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department and Las Vegas Fire & Rescue, as well as private charities that address a multitude of needs in the Las Vegas community.
Mr. Kelesis is admitted to practice in all courts of the state ofNevada, United Supreme Court, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, United States District Court, and United States Tax Court.
- New York University, New York City, NY, Master of Laws (Taxation) 1982
- McGeorge School of Law, Sacramento, CA, Juris Doctor with Distinction (1981)
- University of Nevada – Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV, Bachelor of Arts 1976
- The Traynor Society
- The Order of the Coif
- Outstanding Young Men in America 1985/1986
- Who's Who in American Law, 1987/1988
- American Jurisprudence Awards in Civil Procedure, Federal Courts
- Commercial Paper and Debtor and Creditor Claims
- Distinguished Men in Southern Nevada 1994
- Rated “AV Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell
Professional Affiliations/Current and/or Past
- American Bar Association
- ABA Section of Criminal Justice Section
- ABA Section of Taxation
- State Bar of Nevada
- Commissioner – Nevada State Tax Commission (2000 – present)
- Adjunct Professor UNLV – William S. Boyd School of Law (Spring 2013/2015)
- Las Vegas Friends for Police K'9's
- Pop Warner Football of Southern Nevada
- Friends of Las Vegas Metropolitan Police
- Police Officers Riding for Kids
- Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
- Instructor of Continuing Legal Education 1983 through 1994